Saturday, 25 June 2016
IIT-Kanpur professor Sanjay Mittal awarded with G D Birla Award for Scientific Research for 2015
IIT-Kanpur professor Sanjay Mittal in third week of June 2016 bagged the prestigious G D Birla Award for Scientific Research for 2015.
Mittal was instrumental in establishing the High Performance Computing (HPC) facility at IIT Kanpur and heads the National Wind Tunnel Facility.
Who is Sanjay Mittal?
• Sanjay Mittal is a Professor of computational fluid dynamics in the Department of Aerospace Engineering at IIT-Kanpur.
• He completed his BTech from IIT Kanpur in 1988.
• Thereafter, he got enrolled at University of Minnesota, Twin Cities for MS programme.
• He received his PhD and worked as a Research Associate under Professor Tayfun E. Tezduyar.
• Then, he worked at Army High Performance Computing Center for 2 years.
• He returned to India and joined IIT Kanpur in 1994 as an Assistant Professor.
• He is also a recipient of the Shanti Swarup Bhatnagar Prize for Science and Technology.
• His most significant contribution has been in the area of Bluff Body Flows (flows past blunt bodies associated with large unsteady separation and leading to large fluid forces).