Wednesday 6 July 2016

Wimbledon 2016: ‘Surprised’ Federer topples Cilic

The Swiss maestro sealed a stunning coming from behind win to reach semifinals London: Roger Federer admitted he was surprised to be still standing at Wimbledon after sealing a place in a record-equalling 11th semi-final with an epic 6-7 (4/7), 4-6, 6-3, 7-6 (11/9), 6-3 victory over Marin Cilic on
Wednesday. The 34-year-old and seven-time champion saved three match points as he came back from two sets down for the 10th time in his career. He will now face Canadian sixth seed Milos Raonic, against whom he boasts a 9-2 record, in what will be his 40th semifinal at the majors. But he put his fans through the wringer on Centre Court, saving three match points in a breathtaking, hour-long fourth set having also been at 3-3, 0-40 in the third against ninth-seeded Cilic.Federer had come into Wimbledon unsure over how his back would hold up after he had to pull out of the French Open -- the first time he had missed a major since 1999. "I was very worried coming here. I think it was huge for me to play the seven matches I did in Halle and Stuttgart. They served me very well," said Federer. "They gave me so much information to see what I could do, what I couldn't do, how I could play, how I couldn't play. "Then knowing that I had a week in between, if I get through the first week here at Wimbledon, who knows. "Next thing you know, you're in the semis. You're really deep into the tournament. Yes, I did surprise myself, in quite a big way actually."

No comments:

Post a Comment